Friday, July 12, 2013

Not vegan chickpeas


Hello, hello, hello.

Quick little story. So, lately, I've been trying to eat cleaner. More vegetables, a bit more whole grains, less meat and processed foods. But really, I've been eating (vegan!) salads of chopped romaine lettuce, roasted grape tomatoes, those buttery black olives, sweet corn kernels, with a bit of creamy cashew macaroni (vegan!). Oh, and soba noodle salads (vegan!). So. Good. I'm not missing red meat one bit.

So, after listening to Molly and Matthew's podcast about hot dogs. Molly talked about eating baked beans with hot dogs when she was younger. Baked. Beans. Sweet, smoky, a bit tangy. I had to have them. An hour or so later, I made some baked smoky beans chickpeas. I topped that romaine salad with cold cashew mac and topped that with warm chickpeas. Per-fection. Sometimes, when I'm really hungry, the weirdest combination of food is the most satisfying.)

While eating my lunch, I was texting my friend, telling her about my vegan meal and that I shouldn't make eclairs because I just want one, solid, vegan day. Feeling confident and finally accomplished, I logged on to Blogger to type up the recipe. "1/4 c. chi-ck-en stock. Chicken." Yeah, chicken.

Fine, these chickpeas aren't vegan, or vegetarian (like Luisa intended them to be). But they are quick. They are incredibly tasty. And soooo worth not being vegan for. (But next time, I'm using veggie stock.)

Please excuse the lack of pictures. My mom has been borrowing my DSLR and I haven't been charging the battery. Also, these chickpeas aren't particularly photogenic.

Off to make eclairs!

Smoky Chickpeas 
Adapted from The Wednesday Chef, who adapted it from Melissa Clark.
Serves two, as a side.
1 15 oz. canned chickpeas
1/4 c. chicken stock (or vegetable stock, or water)
1/8 c. molasses
1/8 c. ketchup
1 1/4 t. mustard
1/4 t. Tabasco
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
two big pinches of black pepper

Whisk together stock, molasses, ketchup, mustard, Tabasco, Worcestershire, and black pepper in a saucepan. Drain your chickpeas and rinse them. Dump them into the sauce mixture. Cook the chickpeas and sauce over high heat or until it comes to boil. Then, turn it down to medium heat and let it simmer for ten to fifteen minutes with the cover on until most of the liquid is gone. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment